Monday, May 5, 2008

Mixed Nuts (and feelings)




I'm feeling a bit lonely and despondent today. Strange, after such a great weekend. I'm struck while here in Spain how every day brings something completely new and unexpected, including the occasional lonliness and writer's block. I was sitting there in my favorite spot just an hour ago, gripping my pen and notebook, and no words were coming. I had all the inspiration in the world around me...birds singing, incredible view of the river and the city of Granada, amazing sunshine, and yet no words. Maybe today wasn't set apart from the other amazing days in Granada, so it didn't feel unique or noteworthy. I don't know, but it's left me frustrated and a bit confused at the moment.

May 1-4 was the Fiesta de las Cruces in Granada, so all the schools were shut down as well as businesses. This meant I was left with no possible job hunting attempts, nothing to do but fiesta, fiesta, fiesta. Alastair, my neighbor in the house (which we lovingly call the Palace), brought a friend in from Madrid who was awesome and almost like having a little sister. With a little bit of home (she's from St. Louis, Missouri) and a whole lot of spunk, Lindy kept me entertained throughout my four-day weekend. There are pictures above for reference. She's gone back to Madrid, but I'm sure she and I will meet again. I miss having a girl friend to hang out with. Maybe that's part of the writer's block too.

It's been two weeks since the TEFL course ended, and I'm struggling to find some sort of drive to put myself out there and find work. I need to just decide on a day to get out there, put on my workin' clothes and hit the pavement. It's a bit frightening, and even more intimidating with all the decadent lounging I've been doing since the course ended. I feel like I've had to put aside the 9-to-5er Stevie and embrace a bit of the new Granada Stevie, who likes to hang out all day, play guitar and sing, make friends and eat dinner before heading out to the bars. But Granada Stevie might be taking over, and I'm not yet sure how I feel about that. Time to get off my hump (my lovely lady bump) and make some magic happen. Here goes nothing, right??




No comments: