Friday, May 23, 2008

Fiesta de Corpus Christi

Does anyone have any idea what all these fiestas in Spain are about??! I know they're religious, but I can't for the life of me figure out what, exactly, each festival is celebrating. Two weeks ago was the Fiesta de las Cruces (Festival of the Crosses), and now this....

Oh well, it's an excuse to party. And to shut down stores early, apparently, and often to do African dance. I'll try to upload a video clip of the dancing we watched at the park yesterday - sometimes blogger doesn't cooperate when I try to do that.

Anyway, David and I have been hard (or semi-hard) at work this week, practicing the 6-8 songs we're going to be singing around town. We had a really rough day of it yesterday, and I think it put him in a weird mood.

In other news, I bought a yoga mat at a cheap German store called Aldi - it only cost 5 euros! Major score. I'm not sure what's on the agenda for this weekend, but getting in some yoga time is a definite must, as I've been out of it since we came back from the beach last weekend.

So far this week, I've sung (again) at an open mic night, then saw an amazing guitar and singing duo at Tertulia (a bar in the city center), including incredible flamenco singing, witnessed in-home flamenco dancing by a professional as well as flamenco singing by a different professional, and seen spontaneous African drumming and dancing in the park. Not too shabby, Granada.

That's a run-down on what I've been up to since my last post. Ciao.

No comments: