Sunday, May 18, 2008

La Fiesta de Chema!






On Saturday night, when I returned from San Jose, I got straight down to business preparing red thai curry for Chema's birthday party (Chema is a guy from Seville who lives in the house and is just about the nicest guy on the planet). He'd bought all the ingredients and requested that I make a shit ton of food for all the guests, which included the 15 people living here now and their various friends or significant others, plus his friends from Nostromo, the comic store in town where he works.


There was a slight emergency when I realized Chema hadn't bought coconut milk - ppl suggested that I use cream instead, and I was in hysterics. "You can't make thai curry without coconut milk, you idiots!!" Well, two of the housemates saved the day by finding an open tienda at 10:30pm that actually had coconut milk, and all was right with the cooking world. The curry was even better than the last time I made it for the house, and easier too because this time I had an immersion blender at my disposal. Magnifico.


In addition to the thai, there were croquettes de atun, aceitunas, fried corn thingies similar to hush puppies, and LOTS of dulces: tarta de queso (cheesecake), homemade ice cream, strawberry & fudge cookies...OMG. We had so much beer, it was literally falling out of the refrigerator, and lots of wine. Somehow we made it through this party without drinking all of our booze - we had 9 litres of beer and 5 bottles of wine left over this morning! Success! Complete with trick birthday candles and several rounds of "Feliz Cumpleanos," I think the party met all of Chema's requests.


After drinking a bit at the party, we went to a bar called Entresuelo (which means "between the floors"), which is where all my photos are from. I was almost too drunk to stand, let alone finish my SINGLE beer that I bought there. After about an hour and a half, I made the journey back uphill to the house and to bed at 4:30am, and I slept til 2pm. When I woke up, I realized I'd been slightly sunburnt - guess it took all day and night to "set in." Way to go, melanin.


Tomorrow, I have an interview at CL, a prominent school here in Granada. The connection is a very good one, and I've got a good reference from Vince at Via Lingua. Hopefully the DOS (director of Studies) will know something or other about the summer camps here in Granada and be able to refer me...if I don't find some work to line up for June or July, I'm going to be in dire straights. I think I have enough money to get me through, but my self dignity will suffer a low blow, as will my mental health. Left to its own devices, the mind can be very self destructive. There's only so much busking, writing poetry and leisurely reading a girl can put up with. You think I'm joking, but I'm dead serious. All this leisure is so decadent...it's lovely, really, especially with the glory of Granada to compliment it, but it's getting to a point where I can't imagine myself actually having a job again. Read: DANGER ZONE


Anyways, that's whassup. Oh yeah - I met some Brits today who live at a sister house to this one, and they had lots of disparaging comments to make about Americans - and they made them in my presence! Shocking, but I guess I'm lucky that's the first time it's really happened since I've been in Europe. It's funny, really.

No comments: