Wednesday, February 27, 2008

AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!



Seriously. I leave NOLA a week from tomorrow.

For posterity's sake, I must impart that I haven't been sleeping well and, some nights, not at all. I can't seem to drift off until about midnight or 1:00am (I usually would be passed out around 10pm), and then I wake at ungodly hours for thirty minutes at a time, in between random panic dreams about losing luggage at the airport or terrorist attacks in Madrid or the roof caving in on my apartment while I'm trying to pack.

In short, it's crunch time. I haven't even moved all my shit to storage yet, and already I'm exhausted. This is so much of a mental pressure than a physical.
Tonight, I'm meeting with M. to book hostel, bus, museum, and train tickets in advance. We have about 14 days total to map out, and (in addition to all the other loose ends I have to tie up) I'm really feeling the weight of all that planning. I can't believe I waited this long to finalize so much, but I also can't beat myself up about that (my natural inclination). I'm taking things one day at a time, and hopefully my (restful) nights will come back to me. Is there such a thing as pre-trip jetlag?? If my sleeping situation doesn't straighten out quick, I will be in for a rough few days after we land in Madrid.

Since I haven't really mentioned my 2-week holiday with M. (before my course starts), here's the list of what he and I have to get figured out before we leave, organized by the Spanish cities we will visit and some of the things we will do in each:
Bookings
Madrid
Hostel (1 or 2 nights, 3/11, 3/12 depending on bus or train ride)
Storage Locker for luggage (or if too expensive, may opt for private budget hotel)
Metro Pass (1-2 days in Madrid)
Museum (advance ticket to Reina Sofia (Guernica) or pass to 3 museums)
Bus ticket to Granada

Granada
Hostel (1st stay: 3/13, 3/14, 3/15; 2nd stay: 3/21, 3/22, 3/23, 3/24, 3/25, 3/26)
Metro/Bus Pass
Alhambra Tickets (3/14) *check travel books*
Bus ticket to Malaga (3/15)

Malaga
Hostel (1 night: 3/16)
Picasso Museum, Arabic Castle, Cathedral
Bus ticket to Ronda-Algeciras-Tarifa

Algeciras
Car rental to Tarifa, or other mode of transportation

Tarifa
Campsite/Hostel (3/17, 3/18, 3/19, 3/20)

No comments: