Friday, April 18, 2008

I hope the water is warm

An official WOOHOO is much needed.

Today, I get my CTEFL...FINALLY. We all took the Grammar Exam (the final component of the course) yesterday, and I am pleased to report that I got a 94.5! I beat my score on the mock exam, which was the highest anyone had ever gotten - EVER. Gloat, gloat, gloat. I am pleased as pie.

However, one of the trainees unfortunately did not pass. He's re-taking the exam this morning, and several of us fellow trainees/students rallied together last night to help the guy study. I hope he passes. It won't feel right getting our certificates if he doesn't get one too. To come all this way and fail at this last stage...I think I might cry if they don't pass him. He's such a nice guy and a GOOD teacher. He really deserves to pass.

Anyway, it's been a while, so there is more news I suppose. I'm moving tomorrow into the "sister" hostal of the one I'm in now. My room is a bit pricier than I expected it would be, but there's a double bed and an outside view, plus a nice, big shower. It's far nicer than the other rooms that are available now, so I don't so much mind the increased rate. It's still cheaper than New Orleans! I will still be at the top of the hill in the Albayzin. My new place is right across from the Hostal Makuto, if you're familiar with the hostals in Granada. You can find Makuto on most hostal websites, and I am directly across Calle Tina from there. I think you can even google-map it.

Anyway, once I pack up all my shit here, I will move it over there and settle in. On Monday, I think I'll check the bus schedules and try to get up to Madrid to head to the U.S. Embassy. I need to get some documents notarized for the auto settlement so I'll have something to live on through these next few months, which should be tough ones b/c it's the low job season for TEFL teachers. I might spend the night in Madrid, if I can find a cheap hostal, and see the Prado or something.

Once I get back to Granada, I will begin the job hunt. I'm thinking I will post as many possible ads for private tutoring as I can. That's where my heart really is - the 1:1 sessions with motivated students. Standing up in front of a class, day-in and day-out, doesn't really thrill me. I mean, I feel way more confident with it now, but I still prefer tutoring 1:1.

Anyway anyway...today we're supposed to have Paella as a little "party" for getting our certificates, then we're going out for tapas at 9pm with (hopefully) some of our students from the school - it depends on whether they actually show up or not, but most of them said they were coming.

Gotta go shower now. I hope the water is warm.

No comments: